Algae culture collection
Isolates from Lake Lunz
We have isolated a number of algae from Lake Lunz, mostly phagotrophic phytoflagellates. If you are interested in working with those cultures, contact us by email.
Medium – As most of the isolates grow poor on standard WC medium, we grow our cultures on a medium consisting of 90% sterile filtered lake water & 10% WC Medium, hence nutrient (and biomass) concentration is low.
- Dinobryon divergens. Frequent in lake Lunz during summer. Cell size app. 12 x 8 µm (without lorica).
- Dinobryon cf. sociale. Isolated from a spring sample. Cell size app 10 x 7 (without lorica).
- Ochromonas sp. Cell size c app 8µm, weak pigmentation.
- Bitrichia chodatii Cell size ca. 5×8 µm, lorica ca 25 µm long.
- Uroglenopsis cf. americana. Frequent during summer stratification, forming conspicuous blooms. Often causing a fishy odour.
- Pedinella sp. Frequent but usually not abundant in Lake Lunz during summer, diameter ca. 15 µm. The culture reaches higher densities when grown together with Synechococcus sp., while it reaches modest densities in monoculture.
- Chlamydomonas sp. (several strains with different sizes)
- Ankyra lanceolata
- Mychonastes sp. Diam.2-4 µm
- Asteronella formosa
- Fragilaria cf. ulna
- Synechococcus sp. Small coccoid cyanobacerium, diameter 0.5 µm. Culture has orange coloration.
- Aphanocapsa sp.
Other taxa in collection, growing on WC freshwater medium
(various collections; own isolates labeled with *)
- Synechococcus elongatus
- Synechococcus sp.
- Ochromonas danica; O. tuberculata; Proteriochromonas sp.
- Chlamydomonas terricola; Monoraphidium sp.*; Scenedesmus sp.
- Cryptomonas sp. (‘SAG’); Cryptomonas ozolinii; Cryptomonas obovoidea
- Chrysochromulina parva (NIVA Oslo)
- Perdidinium cf. cinctum*
- Coleps sp.* (growing with Cryptomonas sp. as diet)
Zooplankton culture collection
own isolates labeled with *
Daphnia longispina complex – various clones from different German lakes (Bodensee: HST, Brunnsee: JBr 84/2, Klostersee: ANK2, Ismaning: D18, Kalbelsee: Ka12 – available from LMU Munich) Grundlsee, Irsee, Wallersee, Erlaufsee and Lake Lunz*
Bosmina longispina* – clones from German (Brunnsee, Klostersee) lakes and Lake Lunz
Daphnia magna* – culture from Kräutingsee, Austria (soda pan)
Eudiaptomus gracilis* – culture from Lake Lunz
Arctodiaptomus spinosus* – cultures from Zab-szék, Hungary and Obere Höllacke, Austria (soda pans)
Brachionus asplanchnoides* – cultures from Zab-szék, Hungary and Obere Höllacke, Austria (soda pans)
Sediment samples are stored at 4°C from most Seewinkel soda pans (with various Anostraca, Notostraca, Cladocera, Copepoda, Rotifera eggs)